McDonald's First Store Museum

McDonald's #1 Store Museum is a recreation of the first McDonald's restaurant opened at this location in Des Plaines, Illinois by McDonald's Corporation founder, Ray Kroc on April 15, 1955.

The original red and white tiled restaurant building featuring the Golden Arches underwent several remodels throughout the years and was finally torn down in 1984.

The present facility was built according to the original blueprints with some modifications to accommodate Museum visitors and staff. The "Speedee" road sign is original.

The customer service and food preparation areas contain original equipment used in the days when fresh potatoes were peeled, sliced, blanched and fried, milkshake mix and syrup were whipped up on the Multi-mixers, Cokes and root beers were drawn from a barrel and orangeade from an orange bowl.

The all male crew is represented by mannequins dressed in the 1955 uniform of dark trousers, white shirts, aprons and paper hats.